
[ad_1]
Washington DC, August 13 (ANI): Amid the ongoing tensions in the Middle East, White House National Security Communications Advisor John Kirby on Monday (local time) said the United States must prepare for a possible “significant” attack on Israel this week.
Earlier, US President Biden held talks with the leaders of Britain, France, Germany and Italy aimed at easing tensions in the Middle East.
Also read | Faiz Hamid Arrested: Former ISI chief Faiz Hamid has been detained in Pakistan ahead of his court-martial.
“We share the same concerns and expectations as our Israeli counterparts regarding the possible timing of the talks. It could be this week,” Kirby told reporters, according to The Times of Israel.
“We have to be prepared for the possibility of a large-scale attack,” he said.
Kirby said the call was “primarily about all the leaders reaffirming what they’ve said before, reaffirming the defense of Israel” and “sending a strong message that we do not want to see an increase in violence and we do not want to see any attacks by Iran or its proxies.”
U.S. President Joe Biden and the leaders of Britain, France, Germany and Italy issued a joint statement on Monday calling on Iran to end its continued threats to launch a military strike against Israel.
“We called on Iran to cease its continued threats of a military attack on Israel and discussed the serious consequences for regional security should such an attack occur,” the joint statement read, according to the White House.
It also highlights the urgent need to provide and distribute aid.
The joint statement read: “We express our full support for ongoing efforts to de-escalate tensions and reach an agreement on a ceasefire and hostage release in Gaza. We endorse the joint call by President Biden, Egyptian President Sisi, and Qatari Amir Tamim to resume negotiations later this week to reach an agreement as soon as possible, and emphasize that no time can be wasted.”
“All parties must fulfill their respective responsibilities. Furthermore, aid needs to be provided and distributed without constraints. We express our support for defending Israel against Iranian aggression and attacks by Iranian-backed terrorist groups,” it added.
Last month, Hamas political leader Ismail Haniyeh was killed in Tehran, leading Iran to threaten “punishment” and Israel to prepare strong retaliation.
Israel, however, has not denied or confirmed responsibility for Haniyeh’s death, but has previously threatened to execute Haniyeh and other senior Hamas figures for their involvement in the October 7 terrorist attack.
Iran’s Revolutionary Guard announced on July 31 that Ismail Haniyeh was killed in an attack in the Iranian capital Tehran, further escalating tensions in West Asia.
Iran’s Revolutionary Guards said in a statement that Haniyeh and a bodyguard were killed in an attack on their residence in Tehran. According to Press TV, a shell hit a veterans’ residence in Tehran at 2 a.m. (local time) on Wednesday.
The IDF also announced that Hezbollah top commander Fuad Shukr was killed in a July 30 Israeli strike in southern Lebanon in retaliation for a rocket attack on the Golan Heights that killed 12 children.
The IDF said in a statement that Hezbollah’s “most senior military commander,” Fuad Shukr, was killed in the Israeli strike. Shukr was a member of the Jihad Council, Hezbollah’s top military body, and was considered the head of its strategic department.
According to the military, he has been managing Hezbollah’s attacks on Israel since the Hamas assault on October 7, including a deadly attack in Majdal Shams over the weekend that killed 12 children. (ANI)
(This is an unedited and auto-generated story from a syndicated news feed, LatestLY staff may not have modified or edited the content body)
[ad_2]
Source link