Broadcast United

37 people fell ill at St Luke’s Elderly Care Centre, caterer fined S$2,100

Broadcast United News Desk
37 people fell ill at St Luke’s Elderly Care Centre, caterer fined S,100

[ad_1]

SINGAPORE: A F&B company was fined 2,100 Singapore dollars (1,582 U.S. dollars) on Wednesday (July 31) for food safety lapses. Last year, dozens of patients at multiple nursing homes became sick after eating food prepared by the caterer.

On 18 May 2023, the Ministry of Health (MOH) and the Singapore Food Agency (SFA) received reports of 37 people suffering from gastroenteritis at four St Luke’s aged care centres. One person was hospitalised but has since been discharged.

The South African Forest Service said in a news release on Friday that the 37 people enjoyed lunch provided by +Robert Catering Services.

On May 19, 2023, the Ministry of Health and the National Forestry Department conducted a joint investigation at +Robert Catering Services’ premises in Kaki Bukit.

A total of 12 food samples were collected, of which 3 samples were found to contain Bacillus cereus The quantity exceeds the limit set by the regulations.

According to the website of the State Forestry Administration, Bacillus cereus is a foodborne bacterium that exists in soil, vegetation, and the intestines of insects and mammals, and can cause food poisoning.

Consuming Bacillus cereus and the toxins it produces can lead to an illness dubbed “fried rice syndrome” because the first known outbreak was linked to fried rice.

The heat from cooking stimulates bacterial growth, while leaving food at room temperature allows the bacteria to incubate. Briefly heating food does not kill Bacillus cereus or neutralize the toxins it produces.

The three food samples that contained excessive levels of Bacillus cereus were:

  • Sautéed Cabbage with Mushrooms, Carrots and Baby Corn
  • Fried Cabbage
  • Braised Tofu Pork

The State Forestry Administration said food safety was a “shared responsibility as food can be contaminated anywhere in the food chain”.

“While the State Forestry Administration continues to remain vigilant and work to ensure regulatory measures are in place and properly enforced, industry and consumers must also play their part.”

If the public spots a food outlet with irregular food safety practices, we advise them not to patronize it.

The NFA added: “Food businesses should ensure their premises are clean, well-maintained and comply with appropriate food hygiene and food safety requirements.”

“The National Food Agency will take enforcement action against food business operators who fail to comply with food safety regulations.”

If convicted, the offender will be jailed for a term not exceeding 12 months, or fined up to S$10,000, or both.

[ad_2]

Source link

Share This Article
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *