
[ad_1]
- Kuala Lumpur says it will fight any claims to its territory
Kuala Lumpur: Malaysia on Sunday rejected new maritime boundary claims by the Philippines and said it would fight any claims to its territory.
“Malaysia is an independent sovereign state and we will oppose any claims to our territory,” Malaysian Foreign Minister Mohamad Hassan said in response to the Philippines’ diplomatic note to the United Nations, according to local English-language daily The Star.
The move comes after the Manila government recently told the United Nations that it was expanding its continental shelf but making sovereignty claims over the Malaysian state of Sabah.
Malaysia submitted a diplomatic note to UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres late last month rejecting the Philippines’ application to the United Nations.
Manila has registered its rights to an extended continental shelf in the West Palawan area of the South China Sea, “delineating areas of the seabed over which it has sovereign rights and exclusive rights to exploit its natural resources.”
“The Philippines claimed in its note that its maritime boundary passes through Sabah. If this is used as a standard, then it is tantamount to claiming that Sabah belongs to the Philippines,” Mohamad said.
Mohamad, also known as Tok Mat, added that Sabah and Sarawak were officially part of Malaysia decades ago and were recognised by the United Nations.
“We are an independent, sovereign country, and no one can invade our territory at will,” he said.
The dispute over ownership of Sabah, located at the northern tip of Borneo, stems from colonial-era agreements.
Malaysia annexed Sabah in 1963, forcing Manila to formally assert its sovereignty, saying Sabah “rightfully” belongs to the Philippines.
Kuala Lumpur, however, insists that the territory was legally ceded to it by Britain.
The dispute has been ongoing and has periodically erupted with diplomatic notes, legal actions and even armed invasions.
[ad_2]
Source link