Broadcast United

Progress made in resolving issues at Cayon High School

Broadcast United News Desk
Progress made in resolving issues at Cayon High School

[ad_1]

By Eulana Weekes

St. Kitts and Nevis (WINN): On the sidelines of a diplomatic press conference on August 22, Minister of Education Geoffrey Hanley said the goal is to have staff and students at Kayon High School return to school for face-to-face classes at the start of the new school year on September 2.

“According to my meetings with the maintenance department, we are on track to complete the work that we have planned for Cayon High School. You know, it’s different phases. We are currently working to ensure that students return to class. The weather in these two days (TS Ernesto) disrupted some plans, but despite this, from what I have heard, we are back on track.”

Hanley assured that the supply of furniture would not be a problem when schools reopened as the government had already purchased sufficient new furniture for staff and students.

“One thing I can say is that the schools will also be equipped with some furniture. As a government, we were able to procure furniture for the principal’s office and the staff room. Those desks and chairs have been there for many years and now we are replacing them. On top of that, when I visited Miami on one of my trips, I spoke with a Kittitian who is an educator there. I expressed my concerns and desire to obtain furniture, desks, chairs and tables, and Ms. Benjamin from the Cayon area immediately did as requested and got us three 40-foot containers of furniture that will be placed in Cayon High School, Cayon Elementary School and other locations. This has nothing to do with the other three 40-foot containers from Texas and the other 600 desks and chairs that I promised to deliver.”

Hanley added: “Last term, we bought 600 sets (of desks and chairs) and I did say we would buy another set. So we shouldn’t have any excuses (or) any talk as it relates to school furniture.”

In an interview with the Education Media Unit, Melva Walters, director of project and construction management, said a lot of work has been completed and efforts will continue to ensure the facility is fit for purpose.

The remaining work includes building wall partitions, installing windows, replacing some doors and painting to cover up graffiti.

Walters said work will continue when schools reopen in September, but not on a scale that will affect daily school operations.

The next step is to adjust the layout of some spaces and make the school safer by improving fencing and gates. Walters said the overall work will take time as it will be completed in phases.

In April, the St. Kitts Teachers Union expressed concerns about mold infestation and sanitation issues at Kayon High School to education officials, forcing authorities to take urgent action. The first phase of the project is expected to bring comfort to residents of the school until all upgrades are completed.

[ad_2]

Source link

Share This Article
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *