Broadcast United

Opposition calls on military to disobey orders

Broadcast United News Desk
Opposition calls on military to disobey orders

[ad_1]

Security forces have cracked down on demonstrations following Venezuela’s disputed presidential election. Now the opposition is calling on the military to ignore “illegal orders” from the Maduro regime. Meanwhile, the pro-government prosecutor’s office has launched an investigation into key opposition politicians.

Venezuelans are demonstrating against the Maduro regime following a disputed election.

Venezuelans are demonstrating against the Maduro regime following a disputed election.

Jimmy Villalta/Imago

(dpa)

Following Venezuela’s controversial presidential election and subsequent protests, the opposition called on security forces to stop enforcing government orders. “We urgently call on you to stop the regime’s debauchery against the people and to respect and implement the results of the July 28 elections,” the opposition said on the X platform. “Illegal orders” should be ignored and popular sovereignty should be recognized.

Over the past few days, many people in the South American country have demonstrated against what they believe is a rigged election. According to the NGO Foro Penal, security forces have taken a tough action, leaving at least 11 people dead so far.

The loyal electoral authority officially declared authoritarian President Nicolás Maduro, who has been in power since 2013, as the winner of the election. However, it has yet to release detailed results from individual constituencies.

The opposition accused the government of electoral fraud and claimed that its candidate, Edmundo González, had won, declaring him the new president in a bulletin. According to their own information, the government opposition has a detailed list of results from more than 80% of the electoral districts. Thus, González is said to have received 67% of the votes, while Maduro received only 30%.

Venezuela’s Attorney General’s Office has opened an investigation into opposition leader Maria Corina Machado and anti-government candidate Edmundo Gonzalez. Pro-government authorities say they are charged with forming a criminal organization, conspiracy, usurpation of public office and sedition.

The United States and six Latin American countries have already recognized opposition candidate Gonzalez as the winner. The European Union will not recognize the official results without full disclosure of election documents. Many countries in the region have expressed at least clear doubts about the official election results.

Many countries do not recognize Maduro’s 2018 re-election. Juan Guaidó, then the speaker of the National Assembly, declared himself interim president. The United States, Germany and other countries recognize him, but he cannot gain acceptance at home – mainly because Maduro has the military behind him. Now, the armed forces have once again assured him of their loyalty.

[ad_2]

Source link

Share This Article
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *