
[ad_1]
opponent Edmundo Gonzalez Urrutia urged on Saturday Nicolas Madurostop “violence and chase“Targeting protesters Venezuelaa call that has been supported by the European Union.
The statement by diplomat González Urrutia, who succeeded opposition leader Maria Corina Machado and is unable to run in the presidential election due to Chavismo’s disqualification, added Human rights activists allege an escalation of repression.
“Mr. Nicolás Maduro, on behalf of all Venezuelans, I call on you to stop the violence and persecution and immediately release all of our compatriots who have been arbitrarily detained,” González Urrutia said in a statement. A video Disclose on their social networks.
“It is not a crime to demand the implementation of our constitution, nor is it a crime to peacefully protest to enforce the will of millions of Venezuelans.It was not a crime to be a witness at an election, keep the minutes and make them public,” he recalled.
Maduro himself has called protesters “terrorists” and said more than 2,200 people have been arrested following the post-election protests and will be held in maximum-security prisons.
“Disappearing, persecuting, imprisoning and unjustly condemning hundreds of innocent citizens is a crime, as is the brutal repression of peaceful protesters,” added the opponents, who claimed to have won the election with 67 percent of the vote.
The Electoral Commission of the Venezuelan Supreme Court (TSJ) declared González Urrutia “in contempt of court” for failing to attend an electoral meeting last Thursday and for not submitting the review records that would have made him the winner.
The TSJ and the president of the Electoral College, Caryslia Rodríguez, explained that neither González Urrutia nor the Democratic Unity Platform (PUD), which supports her candidacy, submitted “any electoral materials.”
The opposition insists that the TSJ is incapable of settling any electoral disputes and argues that the National Electoral Council (CNE) should be responsible, even though they have so far been Maduro supporters and have yet to demonstrate independence.
NGO Foro Penal confirms 1,303 arrests in Venezuela following Nicolás Maduro’s electoral fraud
The Venezuelan NGO Foro Penal reported on Saturday, August 10 Occupied 1,303 arrests “verified and confirmed” since July 29the day after Venezuela’s presidential election.
The detainees included 116 youth (aged 14 to 17), 14 Aboriginal people, 16 people with disabilities and 170 women. This balance includes arrests registered within the framework of the “post-election crackdown on protests” July 29 to August 10, 10am.
By region, the National Capital Region led with 230 arrests, followed by Carabobo (198) and Anzoátegui (115). Other regions with smaller numbers were Miranda (79), Barinas (73), Lara (70) and Nueva Esparta (67).
“We will continue to receive, verify and process complaints,” Gonzalo Himiob, the group’s vice president, said on his profile on the social network X.
“In some cases, people are arrested not at demonstrations or in the streets, but late at night in their homes, and it is clear that these arrests are the result of condemnations (…), usually very modest,” said Himiobu.
This is “building fear as a tool of social control”” the lawyer declared.
General Elio Estrada Paredes, commander of the National Guard, the military body responsible for suppressing Chavismo, celebrated the armed forces’ “powerful action” last week: “As soon as these traitors committed acts of sabotage, we managed to reach their homes,” citing European News Agency.
In a telephone conversation with UN Secretary-General António Guterres, US diplomacy chief Antony Blinken expressed concern about “political violence and repression” and “indiscriminate arrests”That’s according to State Department spokesman Matthew Miller.
The Chavez regime enabled a tab in VenApp, a mobile app for managing social programs, so that its supporters could denounce those it called “guarimberos” (street-blocking protesters).
The app was blocked and later disabled on Google and Apple stores. However, Maduro assured that the “more than 5,000 threats” reported through the channel had been “dealt with.”
[ad_2]
Source link