Broadcast United

EU foreign policy chiefs shocked by Israeli attack on Gaza school

Broadcast United News Desk
EU foreign policy chiefs shocked by Israeli attack on Gaza school

[ad_1]

“At least 10 schools have been targeted in the last week. There can be no justification for these massacres,” Borrell wrote of Xu. “We are shocked by the horrific total number of casualties,” he added, saying more than 40,000 Palestinians have been killed since the war began in October.

The Palestinian Health Ministry, which is run by the militant Islamist group Hamas, puts the death toll in Gaza at more than 39,600.

The figure cannot be independently verified and does not distinguish between civilians and fighters. Israel has repeatedly said it was attacking the facilities because its intelligence found Hamas operatives were hiding there and using civilians as shields.

“A ceasefire is the only way to stop the killing of civilians and ensure the release of the hostages,” Borrell said.

He also used the post to denounce Israel’s far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich, who lobbied against a ceasefire on Thursday, and told Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu not to fall into the “dangerous trap” of a ceasefire deal.

Borrell condemned Smotrich’s remarks, saying they were “contrary to the interests of the Israeli people.”

Daily News



[ad_2]

Source link

Share This Article
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *