Broadcast United

Derik Lord, convicted of double murder in 1990, was granted full parole

Broadcast United News Desk
Derik Lord, convicted of double murder in 1990, was granted full parole

[ad_1]

Derek Lorde maintains his innocence after being involved in a murder plot as a teenager aimed at gaining his inheritance

Article Content

A man convicted of a notorious double murder in Tsawwassen in 1990 has been granted full parole after winning a review of a previous decision by the Parole Board of Canada.

Derik Lord and accomplices David Muir and Darren Huenemann murdered Huenemann’s mother and grandmother when they were teenagers to get their hands on a $4 million inheritance.

Lord, now in his 50s, has always maintained his innocence and was granted day parole in March 2020 and became eligible for full parole earlier this year. He appealed the Parole Board’s decision in February to deny full parole, which was reviewed last month.

Advertisement 2

Article Content

During a video hearing, a parole board panel determined Lord did not pose an undue risk and should be allowed to reintegrate into society before serving out his sentences for two first-degree murder counts.

The ruling noted that the victims’ families continue to suffer trauma, and Lord’s continued lack of responsibility and denial of liability only exacerbated their loss and grief.

They requested a no-contact order as part of his release, which would prohibit Lord from traveling to Vancouver Island or the Lower Mainland. He also is prohibited from contacting prosecution witnesses he has expressed displeasure with in the past.

Lord’s historical behavior puts him at a medium to high risk of reoffending, but the board noted that he has “rarely displayed negative attitudes since 2013 and appears to have made overall progress in his ability to communicate with others.”

Lord, an Indigenous man who had little contact with his First Nation before his crimes, has recently worked with an Indigenous elder in prison and participated in cultural events and ceremonies.

No serious incidents occurred during his time on day parole, which was conditional and gradually extended to periodic absences of up to two weeks at a time before returning to a minimum-security prison.

Article Content

Advertisement 3

Article Content

The board said Lord “exhibited a cooperative, patient and respectful attitude toward members of the case management team” and had been working full-time.

“While you are described as someone who occasionally comes across as aggressive, arrogant and self-righteous, you do not come across as disrespectful or erratic,” the board said in its decision issued Aug. 2.

The Correctional Services Canada report said that despite having spent most of his life in prison, Lord “demonstrated the skills necessary to survive in society” and was better able to control his emotions and had improved communication skills.

Lord’s combative behavior at his last parole hearing “was due to the anxiety he was feeling at the time,” and there were no other signs that he was unable to cope with the stresses and triggers of his daily life.

While on parole, Lord must live in the Outback with his wife and son, share household and parental responsibilities, and continue to be employed by the same employer.

At the latest hearing, the commission said Lord “became hostile and argumentative” when asked to express his understanding of the impact of the crime on the victim, dismissed the victim’s concerns and “lacked any remorse or empathy.” But the commission acknowledged Lord realized his reaction was inappropriate and asked for a break to calm down.

Advertisement 4

Article Content

Despite noting Lord’s “lack of responsibility, at times self-righteousness, arrogance and failure to show any remorse”, the commission said it was required by law to assess risk when making its decision and consider whether Lord’s presence in the community posed a danger to others.

The court said Lord’s denials were “irrelevant to your risk management” and had little bearing on his “overall risk of reoffending”.

“You have been on day parole in the community since 2020 and have made sustained progress during that time. You have found employment, have been actively engaged in cultural and acculturation supports, completed recommended programs, participated in correctional programs, and maintained a positive working relationship with your (team),” the report states.

The court found that Lord’s family’s stability and support was a “protective factor” in terms of the risk he posed to the community.

Lord was convicted in 1992 for his role in the murders of Doris Leatherbarrow, 69, and Sharon Huenemann, 47, on Oct. 5, 1990. The women were found dead in Leatherbarrow’s home in Tsawwassen, struck in the head and stabbed repeatedly in the throat before being left for dead.

Lord was initially sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole for 10 years. He lost his appeals against both his conviction and sentence.

File provided by Stephanie Ip

jruttle@postmedia.com

Article Content

[ad_2]

Source link

Share This Article
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *