
[ad_1]
NASSAU, Bahamas, CMC – The Bahamian government believes that there are “significant misrepresentations” in statements by U.S. media regarding the ongoing investigation into the disappearance of Chicago transgender woman Taylor Casey.
Authorities said Casey, 41, traveled to the Bahamas to attend the Sivananda Ashram yoga retreat in Paradise Beach and was last seen on June 19.
Kathy’s mother, Colette Seymour, told US television network CBS News that she last heard from her daughter on June 18.
Cathy’s U.S. passport has not been found, but police found her cellphone in more than 50 feet of water near Paradise Island.
At a news conference last week, Emily Williams, a friend of Kathy’s, said the incident occurred after a relative tracked the location of the phone and shared it with police.
Last month, the Royal Bahamas Police Force (RBPF) announced it had sought assistance from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) in its search for the American citizen.
In a statement, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs denied that local authorities had failed to properly investigate Kathy’s disappearance, noting that Bahamian law enforcement had been praised by the missing transgender woman’s family and U.S. officials.
“There are many serious errors in the media coverage of this matter, all of which were made by the spokespersons of the families of the missing persons. The facts that have been determined so far do not match the explanations given by the US media and the spokespersons of the families of the missing persons,” the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement.
“The Royal Bahamas Police Force’s record of cooperation and thoroughness, including through the use of U.S. technical expertise, is evident.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said: “Amidst the grief, people are anxious for a resolution, which is understandable. We share the concerns and our country is anxious to see this matter resolved. There are no complaints about the way the US authorities have handled this matter. In fact, we have received congratulations from the family and the US authorities.”
The government appeals to people to refrain from making biased and untrue comments on the case.
Police Chief Clayton Fernand said an aggressive search had been launched, including divers, dog units and drone surveillance.
But some US media reports have questioned whether there is any connection between the recent suspension of a senior police officer and the investigation into Casey’s disappearance.
Last Thursday, the Royal Brazilian Police Force said it was aware of an article and a video circulating on social media that linked the two incidents.
“Police would like to point out that this information is false and has no relevance to the investigation of missing person Taylor Casey, which remains an active investigation,” Royal Brazilian police said in a news release.
[ad_2]
Source link