Broadcast United

González Urrutia calls for avoiding “usurpation of the functions of Venezuela’s electoral institutions”

Broadcast United News Desk
González Urrutia calls for avoiding “usurpation of the functions of Venezuela’s electoral institutions”

[ad_1]

Caracas. – The standard-bearer of the majority opposition in Venezuela’s presidential election last Sunday, Edmundo Gonzalez Urrutiathis Friday advocated avoiding “a possible usurpation of functions” National Electoral Council (CNE) go through “Other State Organs” And, in this sense, “Assure” Constitutional powers of electoral bodies.

“There are solid legal arguments for the need to protect the constitutional powers of the CNE,” the opponents said, hours after other candidates appeared in the CNE election room. Supreme Court (TSJ)as part of an investigation to “certify” the official results of Sunday’s election, which gave the president the win Nicolas Maduro.

Despite the CNE announcement, González Urrutia claimed victory, explaining that he did not participate in the TSJ “in order to defend the popular will that was expressed in a powerful way on July 28 and to prevent that will from becoming unknown.”

Furthermore, he noted that the CNE has the responsibility to “guarantee the transparency and reliability of the electoral process”, which is why he wants the electoral body to “fulfill its constitutional and legal obligations to publish the vote tallies, totals and results of the audit”.

“Let us seek solutions rather than exacerbate problems, and we are willing to find space for dialogue and understanding. “I will unwaveringly respect the will of the people expressed on July 28,” he added.

The Supreme Court, chaired by Chavista Caryslia Rodríguez, urged this Friday “all the parties involved” to comply with the ruling that will review the election results for a period of time, whose duration has not yet been estimated.

González Urrutia’s absence from the TSJ was rejected and criticized by the head of state, who called his opponent a “coward”.

According to a second communique published by the CNE on Friday, Maduro was re-elected for a third consecutive term with 51.95% of the votes, keeping power for six years, while González Urrutia had 43.18% and 96.87% of the votes, according to the CNE’s second communique published on Friday, which shows the percentage of the minutes reviewed, which have not been released so far by the institution.

Despite this, González Urrutia continues to receive international support, with the United States, Argentina, Uruguay, Ecuador, Peru, Panama and Costa Rica recognizing him as the winner of the election, while much of the opposition defends him, claiming an 81.7% approval rating as proof of their “victory”

The Carter Center, which attended as an observer, said on Tuesday that the process “did not meet” international parameters and standards for electoral integrity and therefore “cannot be considered a democratic election,” both due to the handling of the campaign and the day after voting.



[ad_2]

Source link

Share This Article
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *