
[ad_1]
This is an AI-generated summary and may have errors. For context, always refer to the full article.
Heavy rainfall in the Sokossksargen region caused severe flooding and landslides, displacing more than 40,000 families and affecting agriculture and infrastructure in three provinces
GENERAL SANTOS CITY, Philippines — Weather forecasts indicate further rains are likely in the Soccsksargen area. Adverse conditions.
Heavy rainfall in the region since last week has caused severe flooding and landslides, displacing more than 40,000 families and affecting agriculture and infrastructure in three provinces of Sokossksargen.
Coastal towns in Sarangani and Sultan Kudarat provinces were the worst hit.
The local government actively carried out emergency rescue and relief work, overcoming difficult challenges such as damage to roads and bridges.
The region’s Office of Civil Defense (OCD) warned residents in disaster-prone areas to remain vigilant as Bad weather continues In Soccsksargen prevail.

OCD-SOCSSARGEN spokesperson Jorie Mae Balmediano said on Wednesday, July 17, that the floods severely affected agriculture and displaced about 190,000 people in Sarangani, Sultan Kudarat and Cotabato provinces.
Balmediano pointed out that the coastal towns of Glan, Kiamba and Maitum in Sarangani, and the towns of Palimbong, Kalamansi and Lebak in Sultan Kudarat were the worst-hit areas.
Flash floods caused rivers to overflow in Kiamba and Maitumu, destroying homes and flooding large areas of rice fields, local officials reported. Hundreds of Kiamba residents fled their homes and stayed in evacuation centers.
In Sultan Kudarat, heavy rains triggered flash floods that swept away homes and closed roads due to landslides. At least two bridges were impassable due to flooding, the OCD reported.
The floods damaged two bridges in Tambisi and Kidayan villages along the road connecting Karamansige and Palimpong towns.
A report from the Karamansige Municipal Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (MDRRMO) stated that 3,000 families from nine barangays fled to 11 evacuation centers due to flash floods.
MDRRMO-Kalamansig chief Ernie Quillo said the families are from barangays Santa Maria, Bantogon, Nalilidan, Paril, Santa Clara, Cadiz, Pag-asa, Hinalaan and Datu Wasay.
Cuello said at least five homes were swept away by floodwaters but still had people inside.
“The rescue boats saved the families inside these houses,” Quillo said.
The MDRRMO also listed 20 landslides in the villages of Hinaraan and Santa Clara that buried roads and isolated several communities, making it difficult for emergency workers to deliver relief supplies.
In Cotabato province, Governor Emilu Mendoza said the floods displaced more than 13,500 families, mostly from Pikit and Cabacan towns, which are located in the Grande River, Mindanao and the vast Ligavashan Swamp.
She said other affected towns include low-lying areas such as Mlang, Matalam, Pigcawayan and Libungan.
Balmediano said many affected families were taken to designated evacuation centers in their respective regions. While some have returned home, others chose to stay because of the bad weather.
“We are still assessing the extent of the damage to agriculture and infrastructure,” she said.
The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) said on Wednesday, July 17, that they are monitoring Low pressure area (LPA) is located in eastern Mindanao and may develop into a tropical cyclone. – Rappler.com
[ad_2]
Source link