Broadcast United

Israel hints at attack on Khan Yunis

Broadcast United News Desk
Israel hints at attack on Khan Yunis

[ad_1]

Israel is asking people to move to Mouasi, a coastal area designated as a safe zone by the Israeli army that is already filled with crowded and unsanitary tent camps.

loading

The order suggests another assault on Khan Yunis is imminent. Earlier this year, Israeli forces fought for weeks in Khan Yunis before retreating, claiming to have destroyed a Hamas battalion. But elsewhere, where the military has made similar claims, the new assault highlights Hamas’s capabilities.

Netanyahu said on Monday that the military had “made progress in ending the phase of destroying the Hamas terror army.” But he said the army would continue to “target their remains.”

Most of Gaza’s 2.3 million people have fled their homes, many multiple times. Israeli restrictions, fighting and a breakdown in social order have hampered the delivery of humanitarian aid, exacerbated widespread hunger and raised fears of famine.

The decision to release Abu Sermiya and 54 other Palestinian detainees back to Gaza appears to be an effort to free up space in overcrowded detention centers. Since the start of the war, the Israeli military has detained thousands of Palestinians from Gaza and the occupied West Bank. Many are held without charge or trial in so-called administrative detention.

loading

“Our detainees have been subjected to all kinds of torture in prison,” Abu Selmiyya told a news conference. “Torture is almost every day.”

He said guards beat detainees with batons and used dogs to intimidate them. He said some detainees had their limbs amputated because of poor medical care. He said the beatings caused bleeding on his head and that guards broke his fingers.

The allegations could not be independently confirmed but are consistent with accounts by other Palestinians held by Israel. The prison department did not immediately respond and has denied similar allegations.

Israel launched its offensive following an Oct. 7 attack by Hamas in which Palestinian militants killed about 1,200 people in southern Israel and took another 250 hostages. Israel has killed at least 37,900 Palestinians in the offensive, according to the Gaza Health Ministry, which did not say how many were civilians or militants.

Associated Press

Get the top news from around the world, straight from our foreign correspondents. Sign up for the weekly World News newsletter here.

[ad_2]

Source link

Share This Article
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *