Broadcast United

White House appears to backtrack on Biden’s comments on new Venezuela elections

Broadcast United News Desk
White House appears to backtrack on Biden’s comments on new Venezuela elections

[ad_1]

The White House appeared to walk back President Joe Biden’s statement on Thursday in which he said he supported proposals by Brazil and Colombia to hold new elections in Venezuela after last month’s disputed elections.

“It is absurd that the president is suggesting that (President Nicolas) Maduro and his representatives were dishonest about the July 28 election,” a White House spokesman said, adding that it was “absolutely clear” that opposition Venezuelans won.

When asked by a reporter at the White House whether Biden supported new elections in Venezuela, the Democratic president responded “yes.”




However, shortly afterwards, the National Security Council (NSC) said Biden had only made a general statement on the US position on Venezuela.

“It is well known to the majority of Venezuelan people, the United States and a growing number of countries that (opposition candidate) Edmundo González Urrutia received the most votes on July 28,” said a spokesman for the National Security Council.

“The United States reiterates its call for respecting the will of the Venezuelan people and beginning negotiations to restore democratic norms.”

[ad_2]

Source link

Share This Article
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *