
[ad_1]
A bingo party on Cherry Tree Lane, Clarendon Four Road, suddenly turned into unimaginable carnage on Sunday night when a gunman unleashed a barrage of bullets, killing at least eight people, including a boy.
Nine others were shot.
A baby was allegedly among the victims taken to hospital in what has been described as a senseless and cruel incident.
In a statement issued after midnight, Jamaica’s House of Representatives said Prime Minister Andrew Holness had convened a National Security Council (NSC) meeting for 9 a.m. today, which would discuss the Cherry Tree Lane shooting.
“I condemn this abhorrent, brutal and senseless attack which has claimed the lives of several people in Clarendon. I extend my deepest condolences to all the families affected by this tragedy. I have spoken to the police high command and have advised that every effort must be made to bring the perpetrators to justice as quickly as possible. The Government of Jamaica will not tolerate such barbaric acts against our people. We will respond vigorously,” Holness said in a press release.
Earlier, National Security Minister Dr Teo Chong Chi said Sunday night’s massacre could be linked to revenge activities and urged police to “use all resources to swiftly arrest the perpetrators”.
Mr. Chang stressed the government’s support for the community and law enforcement, adding that even though crime has decreased in the Central Parish, the latest incident highlights the ongoing fight against crime.
“We are committed to supporting the community and our dedicated police officers who work tirelessly to bring perpetrators to justice. Police have made significant progress in Clarendon, with a 39 per cent reduction in murders compared to last year. However, incidents like this remind us that our work is far from over,” Mr Zhang’s statement continued.
When to contact The GleanersClarendon South West MP Lothan Cousins made no comment other than to say the incident had left him “numb”.
“I am deeply saddened by this unfortunate incident. Worse still, it is an attack on the lives of innocent women and children. I strongly condemn these callous acts and stand ready to assist the Jamaica Constabulary Force in any way possible,” Cousins said.
The incident hauntingly echoes a series of devastating events in the parish, including the quadruple murder in Havana Heights in September 2021; the brutal killing of a mother and her four children in the Cocoa neighborhood in June 2022; and the quadruple murder in Summerfield in October 2023.
[ad_2]
Source link