
[ad_1]
The celebrity chef will step down to allow new operators to take over Alpha Restaurant, while his predecessor, Greek cuisine pioneer Peter Conistis, will open his large seafront restaurant in Brighton-le-Sands.
As early as March, MasterChef Judge George Calombaris Announced as creative partner of Sydney Greek restaurant Alpha, Replaced Alpha’s founding chef Peter Conistis. Five months later, Alpha has Changed the operator. On Friday, July 12, Conistis will The huge beachfront restaurant Ammos.
Calombaris is a major signing for Public Hospitality, which It was not until last month that it returned to Alpha status. Alpha’s new operator, Con Dedes, explained that Calombaris’ dishes will disappear from the menu in the coming weeks.
“I had discussions with George (about staying on after the change of operators), but we agreed not to join forces. To his credit, George simplified the menu, and that’s the direction we took,” Dedes said.
Calombaris described Dedes as an excellent operator but said the new situation was “not a good fit.”
“I love Sydney and I love my time at Alpha,” Calombaris told The Herald phone call from Greece. “But I feel like I was teased. I wouldn’t say I’m frustrated, I’m sad (because Alpha’s tenure was short). But it does open up other opportunities. Sydney is definitely in my plans.”
Calombaris did not reveal any details about the new opportunity, nor did he rule out involvement in other sites in the public portfolio.
At Alpha, Dedes is backing chef Alessandro Mandelli, who previously worked under Conistis and Calombaris, to chart Alpha’s new direction. He says Alpha’s menu will focus on Greek classics on one hand and modern dishes and lots of seafood on the other.
As for Conestis, he now looks back on his departure from Alpha, where he had worked for 11 years, in a positive light. “For me, it was the perfect time to leave,” he said on the eve of the Ammos opening.
“I own all three floors,” says Conestis, squatting on the expansive lot with water views at the new Brighton-Le-Sands site. “In September we’re opening a tavern, which is my interpretation of a pub.”
Plans also include a whiskey room with a menu that includes Greek caviar and lobster rolls. But first, the Paul Papadopoulos-designed Ammos restaurant will open in the space this week.
The 160-seat restaurant has its own saganaki station, from where staff deliver the flame-cooked dishes straight to customers.
“I prepared six different lamb dishes,” Conestis said, including a “tomahawk” lamb with celery root aioli and lemon, and a pot-roasted lamb neck with moussaka.
The opening menu features a fire-grilled lobster with Greek butter, as well as quail avgolemono soup and loukoumades with spiced honey and halva ice cream. The chef also wants to rekindle some dishes that were once popular in Greece but have fallen out of favor. “There’s a polenta dish I want to (bring back).”
Ammos has an experienced senior team. Executive chef James Roberts was previously head chef at The Rocks restaurant Ploos, while venue manager Kosta Lambroglou previously worked at Felix and Mr Wong.
Conestis also paid tribute to his mother, Eleni, who he said was his biggest inspiration in cooking and respect for Greek cuisine. “I’ll be having dinner with her here,” he said.
Open for lunch and dinner Wednesday to Sunday
3rd Floor, 2 Princess Street, Brighton Le Sands ammosrestaurant.com.au
Restaurant reviews, news, and the hottest restaurant info delivered to your inbox.
From our partners
[ad_2]
Source link