
[ad_1]
Bogota (apro) The pandemic has killed more than 6,000 people worldwide as of Monday. Despite the decisions in the last hours of Argentina, Colombia, Peru, Chile and Ecuador to close borders, suspend classes and non-essential activities and ban large events, media reports in these countries reported that the authorities in Mexico City ignored the recommendations of the World Health Organization (Remote Management System) and allowed the Vive Latino Festival to be held, which brought together more than 40,000 people. Doctor, epidemiologist, former Pan American Health Organization official (operate), Carlos Walter, Dice I open The organization of the Viva Latino event and the large-scale political activities show that the Mexican authorities “do not understand the severity of the problems they face”. In the Colombian capital of Bogota, the left-wing mayor Claudia López declared a state of “public disaster” in the city on Monday to quickly transfer the resources needed to respond to the epidemic to public institutions. In Bogota, classes, public events and film screenings have been suspended, and thousands of staff in the mayor’s office and private companies are working from home. In Argentina, President Alberto Fernández ordered the suspension of all activities except essential activities (hospitals, supermarkets, pharmacies) for 15 days starting this Monday. In Chile, in view of the rapid increase in coronavirus cases, President Sebastian Piñera announced the closure of air, sea and land borders from Wednesday the 18th. In the past 24 hours, the number of infections in the country has increased from 75 to 155. In contrast, Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro has downplayed the severity of the outbreak, saying that “it is not what they say it is,” while in China, where 81,000 people have been infected and 3,217 have died from the virus, “the epidemic is practically over.” On Sunday, Bolsonaro even broke his 14-day quarantine for possible coronavirus infection after traveling to the United States. The president left his official residence and shook hands with several followers who gathered in Brasilia to demonstrate against Congress and the judiciary. Brazil is the Latin American country with the most reported coronavirus cases, with 200. According to official government reports, the region has at least 785 cases of the virus. Peruvian President Martín Vizcarra ordered all public institution employees to work from home and ordered that only businesses that provide essential services to the population, such as pharmacies, hospitals and supermarkets, can open their doors.
“If we stop people from moving, we can kill the virus,” he said on Monday, recalling that European countries that had avoided extreme measures at the time “were grieving massive human and economic losses.”
Given the number of South American workers who are “teleworking” or working from home, some telecommunications companies have decided to double the bandwidth for their fixed and mobile Internet users for free. Paraguayan Interior Minister Euclides Acevedo said the government ordered a virtual “curfew” between 8:00 p.m. and 4:00 a.m. to control the gathering of people and promote “social isolation.” The measure, which excludes the circulation of basic and emergency service vehicles, will be valid for 15 days. Latin America and sub-Saharan Africa are the regions least affected by the coronavirus so far, while Asia and Europe are the regions with the highest number of reported infections and deaths.
We recommend you: Mexican cartels in UN crosshairs
[ad_2]
Source link