Broadcast United

Teachers and principals to start work for two weeks from Monday – Sri Lanka Mirror – Right to Information.

Broadcast United News Desk
Teachers and principals to start work for two weeks from Monday – Sri Lanka Mirror – Right to Information.

[ad_1]

At least 105 people have been killed in Bangladesh as police cracked down on ongoing student-led protests against government job quotas, despite a ban on public gatherings.

The government decided to impose a nationwide curfew and deploy the army.

Earlier in the day, telecommunications were disrupted and television news channels stopped broadcasting.

Authorities cut off some mobile phone services the day before in an effort to quell the unrest.

Police and security officials reportedly fired bullets and tear gas at protesters and banned all rallies in the capital, Dhaka.

The protests began weeks ago but escalated dramatically this week, marking the biggest challenge Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has faced since her fourth straight victory following elections in January.

The government has deployed police and paramilitary forces across the capital to block campuses and break up protests.

Universities, including the country’s largest, suspended classes and closed dormitories on Wednesday, and on Friday Dhaka police said all gatherings and demonstrations in the capital were banned.

According to foreign media reports, the headquarters of Bangladesh’s state-run television station was attacked on Thursday, and border officials opened fire on more than 1,000 protesters gathered outside the TV station.

Border guards fired rifles and sonic grenades at the crowd, while police fired tear gas and rubber bullets, leaving bullet-riddled and blood-stained streets.

Internet services and mobile data were severely disrupted in the capital Dhaka on Thursday night and services remained disrupted on Friday.

Social media platforms such as Facebook and WhatsApp also failed to load. A statement from the Telecommunications Regulatory Commission said their data center was attacked by protesters who set equipment on fire, so service could not be guaranteed.

Student protesters said they would continue to call for a shutdown on Friday and urged mosques to hold funeral prayers for the victims.

Source: Times of India

[ad_2]

Source link

Share This Article
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *