
[ad_1]
Israel confirmed it had received Hamas’ latest plan for a renewed ceasefire, but gave no details.
Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh held talks with Qatar, Egypt and Turkey and presented the movement’s latest plans for a renewed push for a ceasefire.
The group said it had exchanged some new “ideas” with mediators to stop “aggression against our people” but did not say whether it had submitted a formal response.
Hamas showed a “positive spirit” to promote negotiations.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu will convene a security cabinet meeting on Thursday to review Hamas’ latest proposal, according to an anonymous source in the prime minister’s office.
The latest progress comes as Israel continues its relentless assault on the besieged region.
The southern part of Khan Yunis, Gaza’s second largest city, continues to be bombarded with heavy bombing, leaving 250,000 Palestinians displaced, many of whom have been forced to leave their homes multiple times.
At least seven people died near the city’s main hospital.
International pressure for a ceasefire is growing as the death toll in Gaza approaches 38,000 and living conditions for residents deteriorate.
The latest effort builds on a U.N.-backed plan proposed by U.S. President Joe Biden in May.
However, the talks have stalled over different interpretations of the deal, which includes Israel’s cessation of its war on Gaza and a three-stage prisoner exchange.
Qatar, Egypt and the United States have been working for months to reach a ceasefire and release the 120 remaining prisoners in Gaza, but those efforts have yet to bear fruit.
While the United States insists Israel supports the deal, Netanyahu has repeatedly said otherwise and vowed not to end the war until Hamas is “eliminated.”
Hamas insists that any agreement must include a complete cessation of Israeli attacks and a complete withdrawal of Israeli troops from the Gaza Strip.
Although Hamas said last month it was willing to “look positively” at the proposal, the talks have made little progress.
according to New York Timessenior Israeli generals favor a ceasefire in Gaza even if it means Hamas remains in power.
The stance highlights a growing rift between the Israeli military and Netanyahu, who opposes any ceasefire that allows Hamas to remain in the country.
Since October 7, Israel has killed nearly 38,000 people in Gaza, mostly women and children, while injuring more than 87,266.
[ad_2]
Source link