
[ad_1]

Foreign Minister Dr. Constantinos Koombos said on KYPE on Wednesday that Cyprus is ready to implement the “Homeland Plan”, adding that Cyprus has taken all foreseeable actions if citizens are expelled from Lebanon due to the situation in the Middle East.
Meanwhile, when asked to comment on yesterday’s reaction to the occupied territories, he refuted the Turkish claims and noted that the Cypriot government’s actions were of a “humanitarian nature”.
Asked if Canada had indeed reached an agreement with Cyprus to deport its citizens from Lebanon, Mr. Kombos said all actions developed to implement the Hestia Plan had been taken. “That is, the organized transfer of citizens to the destination countries through the Republic of Cyprus in the context of the humanitarian assistance we provided in 2006 and 2023,” he added.
Beds have been placed in schools in Larnaca and health facilities have been prepared to receive citizens in the event of the Lebanese evacuation.
When asked about this, Mr. Combos said, “We are taking all necessary actions in terms of accommodation facilities and strengthening our capacity to temporarily host people before they leave their country of nationality”.
At the same time, he said, “agreements/arrangements have been reached with nations that are working with Hestia,” noting that these “are necessary and are always being worked on.”
He went on to say that we expect to “see how things develop and we will act accordingly.”
Dr. Kombosi also reported to KYPE that as part of the regular coordination with the competent authorities, a weekly meeting with the Director-General of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the national co-competent authorities was also held this morning.
When asked if we are ready to implement Hestia at any time, the Minister replied “yes”.
Regarding the maximum number of people Cyprus can accommodate, he replied: “In 2006 it was 60,000. So we can welcome a large number of people, as long as they leave and do not stay for long.”
Mr. Komboš, referring to yesterday’s reaction in the occupied territories and the statements of the Turkish leadership, said that the Turkish Cypriot side was disturbed and tried to torpedo it. “We reject the baseless accusations,” the Foreign Minister said, adding that the Cypriot government’s actions were of a “humanitarian nature.”
[ad_2]
Source link